Visit me @

http://cookingwithsj.com or http://facebook.com/cookingwithsj and explore more of my recipes!!! :)

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Undhiyu

Sometimes it happens that I don't remember what all I have in my freezer!!! Yesterday only I saw a pack of frozen mix veggies, which is never my first preference for cooking :P But as my husband loves it, I thought of making his favorite dish, linked with his favorite festival - Uttarayan... 

You must have guessed it by now, it's "Undhiyu"! If you are looking for an authentic one, it's not... This is my version with all the flavors that I love in any core-gujju gravy :)

And yes, it comes to be a Jain dish if you eliminate potatoes in it!!! Wooo... what a great start of 'Jain Series'... 


Serves: 3-4

INGREDIENTS:

500 gm Surti Undhiyu Mix (I had potatoes, small brinjals, broad beans, lilwa, yam and methi dumplings)
2 tbsp Canola Oil
1 tsp Chopped green chillies
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Red chilly powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/8 tsp Hing
1 tbsp Lemon juice
2 tsp Sugar
Salt, to taste

For Dry Masala--

1/4 cup Roasted Peanuts
2 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 tsp Besan (Gram flour)
1 tsp Anardana (Dried Pomegranate Seeds)
1 tsp Dessicated Coconut
1 tsp Sesame Seeds
1 tsp Kasoori Methi

METHOD:

- Take all the ingredients of dry masala in a mixture jar and grind them finely.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and hing. 
- Once it splutters, add chopped green chillies and saute it for 30 sec.
- Add mixed veggies (thawed out if frozen) and add salt, turmeric powder and sugar. Mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook it on slowest heat for around 10 mins. 
- Check if all the veggies are soft (cooked well), add red chilly powder, coriander powder and cumin powder along with ground dry masala.
- Mix it all together and cook it again for 2-3 mins.
- Turn off the heat and mix lemon juice in it. Serve hot with puffed poori!!! :)


SJ's NOTE:

- Raw banana (cut into cubes) can be used as a replacement of potatoes for Jain version!
- Fresh methi leaves can be added along with all veggies, which will infuse a nice aroma. 
- Recipe for making methi dumplings at home will be posted soon!

Linking this recipe to Foodabulous Fest Event organised by Simply TADKA and hosted by Shruti’s rasoi:



2 comments:

  1. I love undhiyu. Specially on uttrayan day. Missed that now so much. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I'm not really a big-fan of 'Undhiyu', but I definitely love that yummy gravy :)

      Delete

Like & Share