Visit me @

http://cookingwithsj.com or http://facebook.com/cookingwithsj and explore more of my recipes!!! :)

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Chana Dal Stuffed Paratha

I'm fond of trying various stuffed paratha!!! I never prefer having leftover items on the next day and so I hardly have something in freeze from previous lunch/dinner :) A little extra rice I had this time, which I definitely wasn't going to have on plate again... So I thought of making quite a different paratha stuffed with a combo of chana dal n leftover rice! 

On the very 1st bite, I got negative vibes from my husband, so was disappointed a little. But the next moment, he said... It's super-tasty n healthy one, I was so relieved! Making sure of his expressions, I gotta know he was expecting it to be Aloo Paratha, so the expressions changed :P 

Paratha-lovers, try it out! This is definitely a healthy n delicious alternate of 'Aloo Paratha' :)


Makes: 6

INGREDIENTS:

For Dough--

1/2 cup Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Plain Flour (Maida)
1 tsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
Salt, to taste
2 tsp Oil

For Stuffing--

1/2 cup Chana Dal (Bengal Gram)
1/2 cup Boiled Rice (I used leftover-rice)
1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Flakes
1/2 tsp Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
Salt, to taste

STEPS TO FOLLOW:

- Soak chana dal in water for an hour and pressure-cook it for 1-2 whistles only.
- Drain excess water and rinse it. Keep it aside.
- Mix all the ingredients of dough in a big bowl and knead a soft dough by using lukewarm water as required.
- In another mixing bowl, take cooked chana dal and add rest of all stuffing ingredients. 
- Mix everything well but make sure it's not completely mashed.
- Divide the dough and stuffing into 6 portions. Take one ball, roll it out to make 4" in diameter. 
- Place a stuffing ball onto it. Fold it from all the sides to make a lemon-sized ball again.
- Roll it one more time to make paratha of 7"-8" in diameter. Repeat the same process for other balls.
- Pan-roast it by drizzling a little oil every time till you find brown-spots on both the sides.
- Serve hot with Coriander-Mint Chutney or a Yogurt bowl :)


SJ's NOTE:

- You can add one small-sized boiled potato for binding, if you are not using rice.
- For rich flavors, use clarified butter (desi ghee) to replace oil. 


6 comments:

Like & Share